Sunday

December 11, 1918-August 3, 2008

A year ago I read Joseph Pearce's magnificent biography of Alexander Solzhenitsyn, A Soul in Exile. One of the most moving and beautiful things I've ever read, passages from it still echo in my head. I remember deciding then that one of my life's goals would be to meet Solzhenitsyn someday, and to prepare for that day I read The Gulag Archipelago, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, Cancer Ward, Lenin in Zurich, among other essays and prose poems.
Today my dream ended with the death of this incredible poet, philosopher, and lyric warrior. I do not have suitable words to mourn his passing and can only count it an honor to have shared this earth with him the past eighteen years. I will continue to study his work and now go to quietly live out the final day he drew breath.
The Soul in Exile has gone home at last.

0 comments:

Post a Comment