Thursday

Mad Dog!

I have discovered that all I need to do to make our dog go crazy is say "bubbles". It goes something like this: "Bubbles, Marvin!" (He jumps and lolls his tongue and wags his tongue) "Bubbles, Marvin!!!" (He spins around and prances in front of me) "BUBBLES, MARVIN!!!!!" (At this point he takes off in all directions simutaneously, crashing into things and rolling his eyes around creepily. I'm no Pavlov, but I think I may be onto something.) I know I'm not that far into War and Peace but I think I can safely say I like Dostoevsky better, as a writer, anyway. More on this when I finish, but for those of you who haven't read Crime and Punishment, what are you waiting for??? As for Le Morte D'Arthur I feel so disillusioned. I mean, I assumed with the whole chivalry thing that these guys would be pretty cool and honorable and whatnot; but they're all jerks. Lancelot, Galahad (whenever he decides to show up, he's taking his sweet time) are the only exceptions. And Sir Tristan (as in Tristan and Isolde) is the worst of the lot. I can't stand him.

3 comments:

"Father Barry" said...

That Marvin story makes me think of Finding Nemo. I hope to see it in person soon; sounds very amusing.

I've always preferred D. as well, though Finley assures me that re-reading War and Peace for seminar this year has changed his mind. He thinks it's harder to take in the first time through that D. tends to be, but that it benefits greatly from re-reading.

I know, you're still "not that far into" your first attempt. Probably shouldn't start talking about re-reading it just yet...

Catherine_Creagan said...

No kidding...I'm not re-tackling this one for years, if possible. Don't get me wrong, I think Tolstoy is a very good writer and all the historical stuff is really interesting, and the plot is gripping and whatnot. I just love the complexity of D's characters. I guess I should finish the book first, though...

Anonymous said...

The Marvin story reminds me of when Papa discovered he could reduce Sean (all of about 16 months) to helpless cackles by repeating loudly "Mama Mia that's some kind of a fish!"

Must run in the family...

Post a Comment