Sunday

I met a real live Russian today

Sunday brunch became more interesting than usual when I met Hillsdale's own student from the Motherland. In the course of the conversation I mentioned that Russia has been my favorite country to read and hear about since I was three years old and he said, "...you are very strange." Which is, I suppose, undeniably true. But my fascination with that country remains with me to this day; and I would love to reach a point in my life where I could spend a year traveling all over that country which uses up one sixth of the Earth's landmass. I think what has always drawn me is the deep understanding of pain and suffering that permeates Russian art, music, literature, and history. From Dostoevsky to Rachmoninov, I feel connected to a people who have accepted and lived with suffering more completely than any other culture I've ever encountered.

2 comments:

Skinny Rich Coach said...

So beautiful! Thank you :)

Unknown said...

Hi Catherine, I came across this blog Googling Flannery O'Connor audio, which is amazing. I was back trying to download the Chesterton audio and dismayed to find the linked file deleted. I read your post and thought you might be interested in an anthology I co-edited: http://bookmaster.hostcentric.com/catalog/catalog_c_rasskazy_intro.shtml

New fiction from young Russian writers. If you happen to have any info on the link to that Chesterton audio, I'd really appreciate it.

cheers,

jeff

Post a Comment